Genius Blog Post: News, PSAT
June 9, 2019
There's Only One Chance to
Ace the PSAT
PSAT Test Dates
Primary Test Day
Wednesday October 16, 2019
Saturday Test Day
Saturday October 19, 2019
Alternate Test Day
Wednesday October 30, 2019
Why take the PSAT?
Rising Juniors Pay Attention
A strong PSAT score can qualify you to become a National Merit Scholar, qualify you for scholarships, grant you early admittance to college and so much more! Check out Jean's notes to one of her most compelling speeches, The Best Kept Secret to Free College- The PSAT
A Bonus Webinar
In a little less than FIVE months, it will be time to take the PSAT. If you have a rising junior, this information is crucial to receiving the best possible score.
Treat preparing the next few weeks for the PSAT like a part-time job. If you have already gone through the eCourse, start again to solidify the information so you can apply it appropriately and internalize the strategies. If you want to raise your score but don’t own the eCourse, you can purchase it at here.
Crash List Course Checklist for the PSAT
- 1Take the baseline test (#1) as indicated on the program. (If not done so already)
- 2Do at least 1 lesson in the College Prep Genius eCourse per week with homework for the next few weeks.
- 3Juniors-Skip Lessons 11 and 12. (The essay is only on the SAT)
- 4Over the summer, take at least 2 full-length tests a week. Use notes in the beginning until comfortable without them. Accuracy before speed. Download the class notes outline found in your eCourse, if you haven't yet. Remember to only practice with real tests from the College Board.
Real SAT tests at: collegeprepgenius.com/ossgsat
Real PSAT tests at: collegeprepgenius.com/ossgpsat
Note: You can often pick up different SAT and PSAT tests from local guidance counselors as well as get test booklets back from the QAS of the College Board. (This service is offered 3 times a year.)
- 5Take the August 24, 2019 SAT.
- 6Take the October 5, 2019 SAT.
- 7Take the October PSAT/NMSQT when it counts, in the third week of October.
• Primary Test Day: October 16, 2019
• Saturday Test Day: October 19, 2019
• Alternative Day: October 30, 2019
- 8Since you have been studying for the SAT at least 5 months you should go ahead and take the November 2, 2019 SAT and December 7, 2019 SAT. Remember you don’t have to send the scores anywhere and most colleges will Super Score (cherry pick) the highest scores from different sections.
For juniors, the goal is to make the senior year test optional. If you also get your desired SAT score in the junior year, the pressure is off in the senior year. Students can then still apply for early action/decision and receive those scholarships.
Rising seniors can follow the same plan but omit points (3) and (7).
Keep in mind that if you don’t quite get the desired PSAT score as a junior, full-rides are available on the SAT as well! As you study for one, you study for the other one!
Predicted PSAT scores for your state: collegeprepgenius.com/predictedPSATscores
Understanding PSAT percentiles: collegeprepgenius.com/PSATscores
Schools that give scholarships on high PSAT scores: collegeprepgenius.com/NationalMeritSchools